Saturday, October 16, 2010

"These are a few of my favorite things..."

Post #6! Well, for this post, I'm choosing to do my five most favorite things about the "Halloween season." I don't know if I'll get around to doing it for the next two weeks so it's better now than never! Anyway, here it is:


#1 -- Candy!
I had to add this one! Even though I don't get to eat any candy until after State, it makes it all worth it even more. Then I'm twice as excited to eat all those sweets! :) Candy is what brings joy (and A LOT of energy) to little children each Halloween. If it wasn't for candy, Halloween wouldn't mean nearly as much to a lot of people! :)


#2 -- Pumpkins
Ah pumpkins! You can carve them, admire them, eat them I'm sure, if you really wanted to. It amazes me how many different shapes and sizes there are of pumpkins out there. Above is the Greenbluff pumpkin patch and they've got some good ones. And another cool thing is that anything pumpkin-flavored is delicious! Doughnuts, bread, ice cream (I had it when I was little at Baskin Robbins), cookies, cake, everything! What's interesting though, and something that I just looked up because I wanted to sound smart on one of these posts, is that pumpkins have a symbol behind them. Yep! It's true! :) According to a very informational website called Halloween Symbols, "On the British isles, the scary face of the jack-o-lantern was used to frighten away evil spirits and cast a 'spell of protection over the household.'  The Celts carved the frightening faces into gourds or turnips, not the American pumpkin." Well, there ya go! Now you can go around, sounding smart and telling everyone that cute little fact. Okay, onward!

#3 -- Costumes
This picture is from two years ago because surprisingly (which it is if you know me), I didn't have any photos of me dressed up from Halloween last year! Crazy, right?! Either way, costumes rock! I already did a post about how I love to dress up, so this just goes to prove that I guess? Costumes make Halloween worth celebrating... yes, more than candy does!

#4 -- Apple Dumplings
 First of all, I'm pretty sure that these dumplings aren't "World Famous," but nonetheless, they are super duper scrumdidlyumptious! If you have never had one, I would most definitely say to go try one. Even if you have to go to Greenbluff just for that, it's so worth it. Then again, I'm not the one paying for gas whenever we go there, so I wouldn't know for sure... anyway, they are like a little treat sent from heaven. I cannot fully describe the goodness of these things!


#5 -- Colorful Trees
This isn't the best photo to capture what I'm going for here, but it works. I'm sure I'm not the only one here that loves the colorful leaves... while they're still on the trees. They're still pretty on the ground, but then it takes forever to rake them all up. Which I'm fine with doing the first time. After that, it gets kind of tiring. But I guess the beautiful colors everywhere are pretty worth it!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Funny how a lot of your favorite things are MY favorite things! I should just copy and paste to my blog! Did you see that Tiff had her blog printed in book form? It's so cool! Love you!